Ecologically, socially, economically, we’re in a bit of a pickle lately. We must begin an initiative to turn back our industry and economy from the current insanity. But we have an addiction, and we need to first, realize that we do have an addiction, and second, to stop ourselves.
It is under these circumstances, that I propose a 12-step program for consumers. This program, modeled on Alcoholics Anonymous, is aimed at understanding our addiction to destroying nature, and re-connecting with nature in order to help ourselves mend this addiction.
The 12-Steps for Rampant Consumers
Consumers Anonymous — A Restoration of Nature
- Admit that we feel individually powerless over the destruction of Nature — that our lives have become unsustainable.
- Come to the understanding that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Nature.
- Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admit to Nature, to ourselves, and to another human being, the circumstances of our wrongs.
- Be entirely ready to have Nature help us in removing all these defects of character which cause us to harm Nature.
- Humbly ask Nature to help us in removing our shortcomings.
- Make a list of the ways in which we have harmed Nature, and become willing to make amends to Nature for these harmful actions.
- Make direct amends to Nature wherever possible, except when to do so would further injure Nature or other people.
- Continue to take personal inventory, and when we are wrong, promptly admit it.
- Use prayer and/or meditation to improve our conscious contact with Nature, praying for knowledge of Nature’s will for us and the power to carry out this will.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, attempt to carry this message to other consumers, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.